Sunday 10 July 2011

Managing information

I often struggle to keep up to date with emails at work when the demands of the job are away from my desk and serving the public. This can often leave me feeling overwhelmed and disheartened as even when I feel like I'm up to date on what's happening in the world - or my very small world and the library world that is!- I'm back to square one when I log back on a few hours later and there's so much information to wade through. So this week I've been looking at Twitter and RSS feeds.


I've taught staff how to use twitter before but never really used it properly until this week. So I've set up a new account, created a profile (I just need to load the picture now), started to follow some colleagues, public libraries and other information professionals and posted my first tweet with my new account. I'm looking forward to setting it up on my mobile and seeing the outcome. My username is AnneLArcher so do look out for me on twitter if you fancy!

And as for RSS feeds, I've known for a long time I needed to get a reader, but simply haven't got round to doing it, so again CPD23 has encouraged me to do something I've been meaning to do for a long time. (I've just gone for a google reader, although its quite scary the critical mass of information google is now acquiring about me!). The only thing I was confused about is how to set up an RSS subscribe feed from this blog (I think my brain has just given up tonight!!). Can anyone help? And how can I put a twiiter feed on here as well? Your advice would be much appreciated.

And in the spirit of keeping tweets to 140 characters, I'm going to keep this post short this week. So....over and out (not quite 140 characters, but shorter than the last posts I've done!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,

    Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your blog. I'm in much the same situation as you and, like you, I'm a bit concerned about the amount of information I'm giving to Google, as I now have a Google account, Google reader and a blog powered by Google. I'm trying not to think too closely about the implications of this!

    Re: setting up RSS and Twitter feeds - it looks like you've already done this for Twitter, but I think you can just go to the "Design" section of blogger and add the relevant gadgets (there is one called "Feed" which should add the RSS widget). Hope this helps!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana,

    Thanks so much for your comment, really glad you're enjoying it and I'm not the only one concerned about Google taking over the world!

    And thanks for the tip about gadgets...one of these days I'll get the hang of this!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete