Tuesday 19 July 2011

Online networks and professional organisations

I've spent a happy afternoon reading through thing 6 and thing 7 and  checking out the online networks I wasn't a member of. I use facebook for my own personal use, but I don't fancy using it for professional purposes. However, I was particularly interested investigating Linkedin and as I was suitably impressed (I like the idea of having a more professional network) that I created my own Linkedin profile and I've started to make a few connections. It will be interesting to see now whether this public profile will appear on a Google search under my name now and I must remember to keep it current and up to date (something a former colleague of mine, Nick Stopforth, is very good at doing)! Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how to add a Linkedin profile to blogger?!! It gives you the html code and I can't work out how to get it on this blog. Is it under Gadgets?

I then investigated the LATnetwork, with my information literacy hat on, and I had a good browse through the resources and events (there was a particular resource about training and student inductions which I'm looking forward to having a good look through). And as ever, the beauty of online networks meant that I soon came accross a local network (the toon library teach meet blog) and got engrossed in watching presentations of a past teach meet back in May (Lucy Carroll's 'Getting students to do the work for you' particularly got me wondering whether we could do a similar induction to City Library for new customers and use some of the talent from the film studies courses at the local universities? Something to ponder on). So I'm now following LATnetwork and toonlibtm on twitter - so hopefully further updates won't be missed and who knows, I could even look at attending any face to face teach meets in the future.

And on the note of face to face meets, I'm disappointed not to be able to attend the Newcastle CPD23 meeting this week. However, I'd be really interested to attend any future ones. I really do find face to face meetings beneficial as well as online networks. I'm so thankful that work are very supportive at sending me on training courses and allowing me to attend professional meetings when appropriate. From this, you do start to build contacts up and it's amazing to find out that the library world really isn't that big at all.  I was recently at a business training event in London and a month later was at a Google training day in Newcastle. And lo and behold there was an information professional from Sheffield who was there at both and we were able to just carry that professional conversation on from where we'd left off.

And finally, I did join the LIS New Professionals Network a while ago but I haven't really looked at it since, so I must get stuck back into it and get the most out of it....there are lots of connections to be made! 

No comments:

Post a Comment